Desert Island

Image hosted by Photobucket.com used another of my suggestions this week! "Another suggestion from Nicki — the old desert island question. I don't know about you, but this one's always been difficult for me. I've always found it difficult to narrow it down to just a few books."

1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three books would you want to have with you?
The Complete Works of Shakespeare, The Lord of the Rings, and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

2. Why?
Shakespeare because I discovered when I had chickenpox very badly years ago that memorising speeches keeps me from being bored when there's nothing else to do.
The Lord of the Rings because it's long and complex and could be read over and over. I could even memorise the poems!
Jonathan Strange because I've had it on my bedside table for ages and not got round to starting it yet. I'm sure I'm going to like it and it would last a while on a desert island. I also suspect it's the sort of book that could be re-read without getting boring.

3. Is this list different than it would have been ten years ago? How?
Well, Jonathan Strange was only published last year, so that's new obviously. 10 years ago I would still have chosen Shakespeare and Lord of the Rings. Goodness knows what the third book would have been.

Comments

Popular Posts