I've been tagged!

Thanks Kitty!

Total number of books I’ve owned:
Oh my gosh, I've no idea. Hundreds, maybe thousands. I probably had a couple of hundred as a teenager and I sold them all to the village shop (to buy more books!). When I left home at 19 I had a couple of boxes of books to take to uni. By the time we moved to NZ last year we had about 40 BIG boxes of books. (A few were DH's but most, I must admit, are mine!) And in between I've bought and sold and given to charity more books than I can remember. Not to mention the fact that I used to work for divisions of Penguin and Simon & Schuster and we got FREE books. So I've brought home probably a hundred or two freebies that got read (or not) and then given away.

The last book I bought:
I think the last book I bought was Dark Fire by Christine Feehan. I've been on a book spree on ebay though, so a lot of books I ordered a while ago are just arriving through the post (the joys of living at the bottom of the world!). So, the last books that entered the house were a 6 book set by Elizabeth Peters - all the early Amelia Peabody series.

The last book I read:
I'm reading several but I finished Dark Fire last night (see below for a book review!).

5 books that mean a lot to me:
This is SO hard! I do love books and I do re-read a lot of my books. But after a lot of consideration, these are books that have inspired me in some way:

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper. Books I read as a teenager and still reread every few years. I can still remember the poem off by heart (if you've read them you'll know what I mean). One of my first fantasy novels/series ever.

South by Ernest Shackleton. An amazing tale of endurance that made me cry and inspired my love of expedition tales, especially those in the early years of the 20th century.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Reread too many times to remember. A funny, witty, beautiful story.

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes. I know it's chick-lit, but something about it speaks to me. I've never been addicted to drugs but I do have an addictive personality and I just love this book.

The entire Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. OK, OK, it's cheating but I couldn't pick one! Some are better than others but I love them all, especially the Ages of Chaos books and the Shattered Chain etc mini-series.

Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs:
Not too easy to find 5 people but hello to Kaya (I hope this encourages you to update your book blog!), Kerry (I can't remember if you've done this on your blog before, but if you haven't you should have done!), and Gosia (hello my friend, here's something to make you smile!). Everyone else seems to have done this already!

Comments

Popular Posts