I've seen this on a few blogs so thought I'd answer it too!
25 Most Asked Stitching Questions
1. How old were you when you started cross stitching?
I'm not too sure. Around 15 maybe. Although I'd done tapestry and canvaswork earlier on (see next question).
2. Who taught you to cross stitch?
I'm self-taught. My great-aunt got me into tapestry and basic embroidery when I was around 8, and my primary school taught me canvaswork, but I can't remember anyone else ever cross stitching. That's my own thing.
3. What inspired you to begin cross stitching?
We were on a holiday in Scotland and went into this tiny craft place in the middle of nowhere up in the Highlands. It had all sorts of things made locally like Aran sweaters and sheepskin stuff, and it also had a small display of cross stitch kits. I got a tiny one that was my initial, and it went on from there. I don't know what happened to that first piece, but you can see the whole alphabet here (sorry about the quality of the pic). This was done a few years later.
4. What has been your most difficult cross stitch piece?
I can't really say. I haven't found any difficult, although fitting the beads on Midsummer Night's Fairy was a pain.
5. Do you have friends that stitch?
Yes! My best friend is a great cross stitcher and my other best friend is a great patchworker and quilter. And then I have online friends too!
6. What is your favorite stitched piece?
I like most of them in some way, but the thing I'm most proud of is my Elizabeth Bradley carpet. It's wool cross stitch on canvas, huge, and it took about 4 years to do if you combine all the time into one solid lump.
7. What is your favorite fabric?
Belfast linen 32ct. Although I like wool cross stitch on canvas and don't mind lugana.
8. What is your favorite fiber?
I love Gloriana silks. For everyday stitching though DMC is pretty good.
9. What is your favorite needle?
I love Piecemakers 28.
10. Do you prefer black & white or colored charts?
The only colour charts I have are the Elizabeth Bradley ones and they're beautiful. They don't use too many colours though, so they're easy to follow. If I could have charts like that I'd choose them, but as most of my charts have loads of colours they'd probably be a mess in colour and I'm happy with black and white.
11. How many Works In Progress do you have at this time?
Maybe one or two too many! Six officially I think and I'm planning two more definitely.
12. How many UFO's do you have at this time?
No cross stitch UFOs but one tapestry and two patchworks. One of the patchworks was started when I was 14, so that means I've spent half my life doing it more or less (less rather than more actually!)
13. How many cross stitch charts/kits/mags do you own?
A few! 23 charts or kits I think. Not many compared to some but enough to keep me busy for quite a while. They're all big projects too.
14. How much fabric do you have in stock at this time?
Actually, not much. I buy fabric as I need it. Although I love all those hand-dyeds, I can't afford to buy fabric I might never use. So I have one spare piece of hand-dyed linen and that's it. It's a pink by Silkweaver that I bought as one of two alternatives for Summer Queen. I just couldn't decide on the pictures so I bought two pieces to do floss tosses. It's pretty, so it'll get used for something for sure.
15. Where is your favorite place to stitch?
On the swing outside. The light's great and it's peaceful. But it's also windy, too hot in summer, and too cold or wet in winter. So I don't get to do it that often.
16. What is your favorite time of day to stitch?
The day when the light's good. But I usually stitch in the evenings. Daytime stitching is a weekend luxury!
17. How many pieces have you stitched in your lifetime?
I'm not sure. Maybe around 40-45. A lot of the smaller pieces I did when I was younger seem to have vanished in house moves and stuff. Or they were given away.
18. Do you give your stitched pieces away?
Yes! I only have about half a dozen things myself. My mum and dad have most of them or my grandparents had them.
19. How many different fibers do you have in stock at this time?
I have a complete collection of DMC because there's nothing more irritating than not having the colour you need. And also because I get it in from the US as it's so much cheaper. I've also got a few silks, but they're too expensive really. Just a few Glorianas, Silk 'n' Colors, and Waterlilies. Oh, and loads of tapestry and crewel wools too.
20. How many pairs of scissors do you own?
One! I'd so love another good pair.
21. Do you use stitching enhancers (lights, scroll frames...etc)?
I really, really need a good lamp. I do have a scroll frame, and a stand, but I don't use them for cross stitching. In fact I haven't used the stand for years as we haven't had the space to put it up. I have hoops too but I only use them for embroidery, not cross stitch.
22. How many pieces that have been stitched but not yet framed or finished off in some other way do you have at this time?
I think I have four pieces waiting to be framed. I tend to spend the money on more supplies rather than framing! I do want to get my Celtic Spring framed soon though.
23. Do you have a craft/stitching room?
24. Why do you stitch?
I need to do something creative, and I hate being completely idle. It soothes me, relaxes me, and I get huge satisfaction from seeing something progress and a finished product emerge.
25. What is your most memorable time related to cross stitching?
I have two, although one isn't cross stitching. The first is when I was 16 and got pneumonia and pleurisy. I spent two weeks in bed and three off school and started a rose alphabet for my Gran. The second is when my Gran died. I got the phone call in the evening and couldn't sleep that night. My flatmate found me stiitching in front of the TV at 6 in the morning stitching. This is what I was doing. I finished it that summer and it always reminds me of her.