Series

This weeks's Image hosted by Photobucket.com question:

Do you read books that are part of a series?
Oh yes. A good proportion of my books must be part of a series.

Do you collect all the books in the series before starting?
No, I'll only buy the first one to see if it's any good. But see the next question too!

What if the series is brand new, and the only book that's been published so far is Book 1?
It depends how closely connected the books are. If it's a trilogy, for example, where the books are closely connected, then I generally won't read the first one until they're all published (in case they're too good to wait for). If it's a less connected series (Alexander McCall Smith's 'No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency' springs to mind), I'll read them as they come out. Exceptions to the rule include Harry Potter (of course!) and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I bought the first of the latter by mistake, thinking it was a complete series (only five published at the time), and got hooked. Although I really think it's passed its best, I'm still going to buy books 11 and 12 when he FINALLY gets round to them!

As subsequent books in the series are published, do you go back and re-read the preceding books?
Well, for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, yes, because it's sooooo long between books. I think book 11 is due in October, which makes it nearly 3 years since I read book 10. So I'll have to read at least book 10 again. I don't know if I can face all of them though, as I've read the first ones so many times (I've been rereading the series to remind myself what's happened since about book 8).

Comments

Popular Posts