Book review - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling




NOTE: SPOILER-FREE ZONE! The review below is spoiler-free - but I can't guarantee any future comments left by others won't have spoilers in them!
Genre, Published:
Children's, 2005
Synopsis:
Another year in the life of Harry Potter, starting where the last book left off and following him through to the end of the next school year. Featuring all the old favourites from the previous books!
What did I think?
Well, I had to review this didn't I?! Love them or hate them, you can't deny that the Harry Potter books have encouraged a whole generation of kids to read, and a good proportion of adults too. Personally, I think they're great and J.K. Rowling deserves the money and accolades, and I think this is one of the better ones. Not my favourite, which remains The Prisoner of Azkaban, but definitely very good. Of course, they are written for children, so if you're expecting something amazing, you'll be disappointed. It may be a bit long-winded for some too - there's a fair amount of padding - but kids love that and that is the whole point isn't it? Overall, a good read, and Harry et al are definitely growing up. The one word of warning is that this sets everything up for the final showdown with Lord Voldemort so well that I was left really, really frustrated that I'll have to wait for the last book! And that's all I'm saying. No spoilers here! (unlike a sandwich board I saw today on the street where someone had written the ending - how mean!)
Would I recommend?
Yes, although I would read the others first, or at least The Order of the Phoenix. There are a lot of references to past events.
Would I read again?
Definitely.
Score?
4 out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts