Book review - The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold



Genre, Published:
Modern fiction, 2003
Synopsis:
On her way home from school on a snowy December day, 14-year-old Susie Salmon is lured into a cornfield, raped, and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer. Once dead, Susie's tale unfolds from heaven, where she keeps watch over her family and friends, as well as her killer, unable to leave them all behind.
What did I think?
This is one of those books that everyone seemed to be reading at one point. It was in the bestseller lists for ages in the UK and everywhere you went someone was carrying a copy. I never got round to it, and having just read it I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. Although it was fine, I really didn't see what all the fuss was about. I didn't find Susie appealing, nor most of her family. The heaven Susie lives in wasn't appealing to me either, and it didn't seem as if it was too appealing to her - she spent far more time watching Earth. Maybe I just didn't get it, but it wasn't the best book I've read by a long way.
Would I recommend?
Over-hyped I would say.
Would I read again?
Probably not.
Score?
2 out of 5, but it's well written.

Comments

Popular Posts