How bad is bad?

A bit belated this week, but here's Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1. What's the worst book you've ever read?
I can't remember the titles, but I've started to read some awful books in my time and not got very far. Some were library books but most were freebies that I got when I used to work for big publishing houses. One that I can remember though was Victoria Beckham's autobiography. I picked it up as a freebie and got as far as page 11. It was absolutely terrible!

2. What's the book you hated the most?
Perfume by Patrick Suskind (see the next question as to why!)

3. Is the answer the same to both questions? If not, why not?
No it's not. Bad books are written badly and that applies to the ones that were so bad I can't remember their titles. Perfume was written brilliantly, but I hated it. There was something about it that was plain wicked to me. It was meant to be like that - the main character is evil, but I found it deeply disturbing. Stephen King's It runs a close second - excellent writing but too unpleasant in a psychological way for me.

4. Why was this book (or these books) so bad?
As above really. To me there's a difference between bad writing and a book I don't like.

Comments

Popular Posts