Lost in translation

It's been absolutely ages since I answered a Image hosted by Photobucket.com, so here's one from a while ago that I thought was interesting.

1. Have you ever read a book in a language other than your native language?
I'm afraid not. I do have a couple of children's books in Spanish that I got a while ago when I started learning the language, but I had to stop classes so I never learnt enough to read them. One day I hope to get round to classes again, so I'm keeping them!

2. If so, how would you describe your experience?
See above!

3. Have you ever read a book translated from another language into your native language? Why or why not?
Gosh yes. Loads of them I suppose. Mainly because I wanted to read whatever the particular book was. A couple were for school or uni (Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War and Njal's Saga - a viking saga), but most were regular fiction or for interest - Isabel Allende, Tolstoy, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Alexandre Dumas, etc.

4. If so, how would you describe your experience?
Usually, it's just the same as reading a book that's been written in English. Occasionally the language is a little different. The one book I can remember I struggled with was The Spartan by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, who is Italian. I'm pretty sure it was translated, but I found it really tough reading.

Comments

Popular Posts