Friday, September 15, 2006

Men and Women

Back to Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1.Do you tend to read more books written by one gender over the other? If so, which one? Men? Or women?
I would say 80% or more of the books I read are written by women.

2.Is this a deliberate choice? Or just something that kind of happened?
It's just the way it is. It'll vary from year to year depending on whether I find a new author and read lots by him or her. So far this year I've only read three books written by men. Last year the only book by a male author I read was The Da Vinci Code (1 book out of 40 - I keep a book record). A few years ago I had a spate of 'adventure reading' and read lots of Bernard Cornwell and Clive Cussler. It just happens!

3. And (without wanting to get too personal), is this your gender?
Yes, and I do think it makes a difference. I can't actually ever remember Martin reading anything written by a woman!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I had a think about my own gender reading habits and although I do read a lot of books by women, I don't really think about whether a book has been written by a man or a woman when I read it and I don't consciously choose a book based on the author's gender. I probably read more books by women than men, but it's more a 70-30 split, I think.

    DH mostly reads books by men, but that's because he mainly reads male-orientated non-fiction (science and natural history stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never thought about it like that, but it's true. I read books by both men and women (but mostly women) whereas, no that I think about it, DH only reads books written by men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've gotten older, I notice I read more books by women than I did in my youth, and I think that's because I can pick them out myself now (instead of being assigned reading in university). My DH also reads a fair amount of books by female authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI:

    I prefer books written by women. I will read a bood written by a man & usually I have this thought process going on in the back of my head "yeah, manspeak"

    What are you reading now? enjoy the day --

    ReplyDelete