Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sylvie's birthday gift!

As promised, here's a picture of the gift I stitched for Sylvie. I wanted to do something a little special because Sylvie was not only in my birthday exchange group, but she's my adopted stitcher too!

I knew Sylvie had the Tudor Knot Needlebook on her wishlist, so I stitched her the Tudor Knot Sweetbag by Nostalgic Needle (I sent the other chart as a gift with a few more bits and pieces). It's on 32ct Willow Green linen and uses Silk 'n Colors Summer Shadows (remember when I bought the thread a while ago?)

I didn't realise until I got the charts that the Tudor Knot pieces are stitched using chain stitch. It's probably a good thing because I might not have got them if I'd realised, but it was easy to do and stitched up fast (well, the black outlining took a while, but the chain stitch was quick). And the bag was easy to finish off too.

I left off the sequins and the beads, and I did all the knotwork in the silk instead of half in silver as instructed. I was going to follow the directions exactly but couldn't find all the bits and pieces. Then I decided the silk shading was so pretty I'd rather it was plainer anyway.

I was sorry to part with it! I wish you could see the colours of the silk properly - it really came out nicely.

The other big stitching news is that Petal Fairy is finished!!! Pic to come tomorrow when I've ironed her!

And sadder news of Steve Irwin. What a shock to hear of his death. He was a great wildlife and animal supporter. I'm so sorry for his wife and young kids.

18 comments:

  1. oh, this is so cool - those celtic knots look amazing,Sylvie must be just thrilled with her gift Nicki.

    look forward to seeing Petal now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nicki, that is so beautiful. It's wonderful and Sylvie must be delighted.

    Again, just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki it is absolutely gorgeous. You have enabled me big time with these. I had never looked at the charts until I saw your finish of this piece. I intend to order the sweet bag this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so fabulous! It's perfectly stitched and finished - I bet Sylvie loves it :)

    I'm glad you said it was chain stitch though - I HATE chain stitch and would probably never stitch it for that reason alone. But you did a wonderful job - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nicki, you already know how much I love this bag (and all the goodies), but I want to thank you again, my dear friend.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly stunning Nicki!! What a great, great gift for Sylvie - not mentionning the wonderful stash you sent her as well! What a work of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO beautiful, Nicki - I'm absolutely speechless. I wish I could finish like you!

    Congratulations on finishing Petal Fairy too, I can't wait to see it. :) Do you have any more Mirabilia's planned?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on Sylvie's blog last night and was amazed - this is truly a gorgeous piece of needlework. What a wonderful friend you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your bag on Sylvie's blog, it's wonderful! Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, your sweet bag for Sylvie is absolutely exquisite - words don't express well enough ... just stunning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning stitching and finishing-Lucky Sylvie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That bag is soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, that was all chain stitch! Whew! I don't know that I would have had the patience to stick with it. It turned out absolutely beautifully, though. Congratulations to you and Sylvie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee Nicki, that sweetbag is drop dead gorgeous! I am in awe, you did such a beautiful job, as usual! I don't know if I would have attempted it. Were the instructions with the chart?

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Nicki, this is absolutely stunning! You did a fantastic job. I love it! Congrats on finishing your Petal Fairy. Can't wait to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely pieces all round. Anne has made a beautiful job of the needlwroll and you have made a lovely job of the sweet bag. Very impressive.

    And I love the bag Anne got from Hong Kong too. I am not a red fan either, but just love all that you got.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous bag, Nicki - an amazing accomplishment. :D

    ReplyDelete