Going green

It's been just over a month since we arrived back in the UK (doesn't time fly?), so time for an update.

We're settling back well, and in some ways it feels as if we've never been away. The house was dirty and just reeked of cigarette smoke (yuk, yuk, yuk - we had specified non-smokers), so Martin has painted most of the rooms just to get rid of the smell, the yellowed paint, and the dubious stains on the walls (more yuk). It's on the market but we may not move yet after all as I'm waiting to hear if I have a six-month contract for two days a week work in Cambridge. I'd love it, so fingers crossed!

The UK seems much the same except cleaner and tidier (a nice surprise). People seem friendlier too - even the ladies in our local Spar (a little supermarket attached to the garage round the corner) are much nicer. The biggest difference is in the food. I've bought a couple of foodie magazines and they're full of information about seasonal foods, local foods, organic foods, and ethical buying.

I've been wanting one of those organic veggie box deliveries for years, but we tried one once and delivery was a problem as we were out all day. Now we're back and at home I'm trying them again, and I have to say I'm impressed. Local organic veg and it tastes good too!


I've also discovered fantastic local sausages and cheese at the Saturday market. And even the tiny supermarket sells three types of fair trade coffee and fair trade teabags!

But, I have to say the thing that's impressed me the most is compostable bottles. I bought a couple of Innocent smoothies the other day (one of the things I missed while in NZ). I was doing my usual read the label thing and couldn't believe it when I read that the bottle was made of corn and compostable. So, here goes. We have some lovely compost (untouched for 3 years!) Watch this space!


And while I was outside I took some photos of the garden. It's been weeded and mowed but it's still very sad compared with how it was 3 years ago. There's not much left alive at all. This is towards the end...


And this is looking back at the house...

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are getting settled. I am sure that once you have everything back the way you like it, you will feel more at home. That is wonderful that you are discovering exciting "green" things going on there. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compostable bottles? GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:19 am

    I love the idea of compostable bottles. I hate buying plastic bottles as there's nowhere locally to recycle them.

    The organic veggies look yummy - we've had no luck finding a good local supplier, unfortunately, because I'd love to have a box service. It looks like you have a good choice there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great newsy post, hope you do get the 2 days/week work contract. It must be nice to get your house sorted again and all freshened up what a shame it had been abused by the tenants! Your bottles are a cool find. We are getting re-cycle everything in my county (we are on the pilot scheme for all types) even plastic bottles which is great..I love getting organic food and you are right there is so much more to be found now :-)
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those veggies look delectable (and as a person who avoids any vegies like the plague - that is saying something!!). It's great to hear you are settling in well and may have a job. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been getting a veg box delivered for several years now and I can't imagine going with out it now. Good luck with the contract :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yuk! I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. I'm sorry to hear your wishes weren't followed.

    But compostable bottles? That is one of the greatest things I've heard of in a while!

    And I've got my fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you're getting settled, Nicki! I'm all for going green, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those veggies look yummy! Compostable bottles are a great idea! Love your stitching progress, too!

    You've been tagged! (See my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm so excited to hear about compostable bottles! I hope that they make their way over here sooner rather than later. I know that you and Martin will whip the garden back into shape in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww glad you're starting to settle. I wish all bottles were compostible. I'm tired of having to take them to Tesco all the time!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts